Availability of live or archived sessions varies based on the organization's specific needs. Check with your course instructor or event organizer if you have any questions about this availability.
Instructions for viewing OWL-Socrates videos are found below:
OWL-Socrates Account Creation
Most sessions require a username and password to view the sessions, but there are some sessions that are open to the general public.
If you are participating in a course or event that requires a username and password, you will be emailed this info. Your email will be similar to this:
From: OWL-Socrates Support,
Subject: [Panopto] New account information
Welcome to Panopto!
An account has been created for you with the following credentials.
You will be prompted to set a permanent password and security question on your first login.
Log in at http://owlsocrates.rice.edu/Panopto to begin using Panopto.
If you do not receive this email, please check your spam folder to make sure that it wasn't flagged by your spam filter.
[Back to Top]
Viewing Live OWL-Socrates Sessions
This option is only available if it has been enabled by your event organizer.
If you will be viewing the live event through the OWL-Socrates system, please be sure to go through the "pre-event testing" to make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements before the day of the event. This will allow time to troubleshoot any issues you might have before your event.
Please also note that there is an 8-second delay in the broadcast feed. (This would only be noticeable if you were simultaneously teleconferencing into the meeting. In that teleconference+OWL-Socrates scenario, it would be best to listen through the computer's speaker and mute the telephone's speaker during the presentation. Then during the Q&A period, mute the computer speakers and turn on the telephone speaker phone.)
This ensures that your computer meets the minimum requirements. If you can view a previously-recorded lecture, then you should be able to view a live OWL-Socrates session.
- You may be prompted to install the Microsoft Silverlight Player if it's not already installed. This player is used to play the video.
- The layout of this archived video will be similar to the live broadcast version. The two things to note are 1) the speaker video in the upper-left portion of the screen and 2) the PowerPoint/screen capture area on the right side of the screen. In the live broadcast version, you will be able to double-click on either section to make that section full-screen.
- Make sure that your username and password work on the login page, http://owlsocrates.rice.edu/ to ensure that it will work on the day of your actual event.
Viewing Live Event
The live video and audio stream will be available 15 minutes before the start of a scheduled event. Please try to log in at this time in case you have any technical difficulties.
[Back to Top]
Viewing Web Archived OWL-Socrates Sessions
- Visit http://owlsocrates.rice.edu
- Click "Viewers"
- Click "Login" at the top and log in with your username and password.
- Click on the name of your course or event.
- Play your desired event.
[Back to Top]
Minimum System Requirements
- If you are having problems, please make sure you meet the minimum viewing requirements:
- PC or Intel-Based Mac (Power PC Macs are NOT supported)
- Microsoft Silverlight 2.0 (you will be prompted to install this browser plug-in if it's not already installed)
- Browser: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari
- More details: http://support.panopto.com/Version/2.2/Viewing_Requirements
If you know that you already have an OWL-Socrates account, you may reset your own password. For Rice students, your username is usually your NetID. For non-Rice students, your username is usually your email address. To reset your password:
- For technical issues or if you forget your username, please contact Jane Puthaaroon,
- For non-technical issues, please contact your course instructor or event organizer.
[Back to Top]