OWL-Socrates – Creating Recordings
EdTech has been working to create a more integrated experience and delivery of instructional materials from within OWL-Space. The new integrated system originates from within OWL-Space.
To record a class:
- Log in to OWL-Space
- Click on your course tab
- Click on the “Course Recordings” tool
- You may receive a security warning pop-up box. Click “Continue”.
- Click on the “Record” button (at the upper right corner of the screen), which will launch the Panopto Focus Recorder.
- Create a new recording by selecting your course folder name from the drop-down menu.
- Make sure your capture source settings are correct.
- To enable background uploading make sure that the “Automatically Upload Recordings” checkbox is checked. This means that the recordings are available on the server seconds after your session completes.
- Click the “Record” (PC) or “Start Recording” (Mac) button.
- Click “Stop” or “Stop Recording”.
- Make sure your session completely uploads to the server, especially if you are using a Rice podium computer.
Basic Video Tutorials from Panopto
Notes and Tips
- On-campus wireless internet: Use “Rice Owls,” not “Rice Visitor.” You will not be able to upload Panopto recordings via “Rice Visitor.” Please contact the IT Help Desk in the Mudd Building (x 4357) if you need any assistance with this.
- Off-campus recordings: To upload your recordings while off-campus, you will need to use a VPN connection.
- Use standard fonts when creating your PowerPoint slides (eg, Times New Roman, Arial). If you are using the PC version of Panopto, in the Advanced Settings of the Panopto Focus Recorder, ensure that “Always Capture PowerPoint as screen image” is checked.
- Make sure that your recording has been fully uploaded to the Panopto server before you exit Panopto. (It does not have to be fully processed.) This is especially important if you are using a Rice podium computer; if you log off before the upload completes, you might lose your recording.
You may explore advanced features by visiting Panopto’s support pages: